"You know what? The bastard blows me out of the water. This guy writes Maine like Ardai writes New York. If you're not reading him, you don't know what you're missing." --Chris F. Holm, author of "The Collector" series, The Killing Kind, and Red Right Hand.

"A refreshingly new voice in noir." --Ed Kurtz, author of Nothing You Can Do and The Rib From Which I Remake the World.

"A glorious boilermaker of noir and East Coast gothic. The action is taut as a sprung snare and Bagley tightens the screws with every page." -- Laird Barron, author of Swift to Chase and Blood Standard.




Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It’s a good day for an old poem about Richard Brautigan.

It is Tuesday

And I’ve bought a used copy
of In Watermelon Sugar
and underlined on page 2 is
“It is Tuesday
and the sun is golden,”
and it makes sense
in a way I could never
explain.



©1995 Patrick Shawn Bagley
from Kumquat Meringue #6 ©2001 Kumquat Press
Kumquat Meringue was (is?) a great little ‘zine “dedicated to the memory of Richard Brautigan.”

3 comments:

mybillcrider said...

Nice poem, and thanks for reminding me of Brautigan. I really enjoyed his books. Maybe "forgotten Friday" material.

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

Thanks, Bill.

THE HAWKLINE MONSTER and DREAMING OF BABYLON are prime candidates for a Fridays pick.

Lisa said...

What a great, great poem!!! And I've got an old copy of "In Watermelon Sugar" myself. Thanks for sharing this.