"You know what? The bastard blows me out of the water. This guy writes Maine like Ardai writes New York. If you're not reading him, you don't know what you're missing." --Chris F. Holm, author of "The Collector" series, The Killing Kind, and Red Right Hand.

"A refreshingly new voice in noir." --Ed Kurtz, author of Nothing You Can Do and The Rib From Which I Remake the World.

"A glorious boilermaker of noir and East Coast gothic. The action is taut as a sprung snare and Bagley tightens the screws with every page." -- Laird Barron, author of Swift to Chase and Blood Standard.




Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Sign of Four

J. Kingston Pierce and the Rap Sheet mob challenged crime writer/bloggers to play this "Fours" meme. Since I was a good boy and got some writing done today, I'll take a shot at it.

4 movies you would watch over and over again:
Jaws
The Big Lebowski
L.A. Confidential
The Goonies

4 places you have lived:
Utica, New York (I was born there)
Herkimer, New York
Hollywood, California
Friendship, Maine

4 TV shows you love to watch:
Deadwood
Doctor Who
Battlestar Galactica
Law & Order

4 places you have been on vacation:
The family camp on Haymock Lake
Pemaquid Point/New Harbor, Maine (my favorite place to go)
Tijuana, Mexico (don't ask)
New Hampshire

4 of your favorite foods:
tomato sandwiches
Spanish rice
shrimp
pizza

4 web sites you visit daily:
Crimespot
Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind
The Huffington Post
Bill Crider's Pop Culture Magazine

4 places you would rather be right now:
At Pemaquid Point, no matter what the weather.
Heading due north.
Scotland.
Ireland.

4 things you want to do before you die:
See Bitter Water Blues get published.
Write and publish several other novels.
See polar bears in the wild.
See great white sharks from inside a diving cage. Seriously.

4 books you wish you could read again for the first time:
The Long Home by William Gay
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Norwood by Charles Portis
The Grifters by Jim Thompson

Tag 4 people you think will respond:
Chris Holm
Stephen Blackmoore
Keith Rawson
Clair Dickson

5 comments:

Chris said...

Bugger. I mean, thanks. Tomorrow, I swear -- I mean, I've got to do SOMETHING while I'm at work, right?

mybillcrider said...

Great to see a mention of Norwood. Everything Portis has written is great, but Norwood remains a favorite.

Unknown said...

I've the Long home sitting on my shelf for the past three months and keep passing it over for some reason.

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

Chris: I'll check up on you later. Just keep one eye on your work while you're typing.

Bill: Yeah, I love all of Portis' stuff--and wish the much-rumored new novel would finally see the light of day--but NORWOOD'S my favorite.

Keith: Yank that sucker off the shelf and crack it open. If you dig Cormac McCarthy, Flannery O'Connor or Tom Franklin, I guarantee that Gay will floor you.

jedidiah ayres said...

Ten years from now I'd select The Long Home for my list too, but I've only just read it recently... THEY SHIT FIRE!