"You know what? The bastard blows me out of the water. This guy writes Maine like Ardai writes New York. If you're not reading him, you don't know what you're missing." --Chris F. Holm, author of "The Collector" series, The Killing Kind, and Red Right Hand.

"A refreshingly new voice in noir." --Ed Kurtz, author of Nothing You Can Do and The Rib From Which I Remake the World.

"A glorious boilermaker of noir and East Coast gothic. The action is taut as a sprung snare and Bagley tightens the screws with every page." -- Laird Barron, author of Swift to Chase and Blood Standard.




Friday, December 12, 2008

The Down-and-Dirty Dozen: Yet Another Year-End Book List

Yeah, I know you’ve all been on tenterhooks, wondering which crime novels I most enjoyed this year. So here it is: the list of my favorite crime reads for 2008. They’re not necessarily books published this year, but all were new to me.

In no particular order:
Money Shot by Christa Faust
Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse by Victor Gischler*
Mafiya by Charlie Stella
Paying for It by Tony Black
Miami Purity by Vicki Hendricks
Cross by Ken Bruen
Provinces of Night by William Gay
Yellow Medicine by Anthony Neil Smith
The Cold Spot by Tom Piccirilli
Tomato Red by Daniel Woodrell
Dust Devils by James Reasoner
Rilke on Black by Ken Bruen

Don’t ask me to pick one absolute favorite. I can’t do it.

Of course, I’ll probably read five or six more books before December 31st. Libby Fisher Hellman’s Easy Innocence, George Pelecanos’ Down by the River Where the Dead Men Go and Ken Bruen’s Once Were Cops are on the top of my TBR pile. So the “favorites” list might still grow.

You got a problem with that?




*Okay, so Go-Go Girls... is not a crime novel. However, it is chock full of funny, violent Gischlerian goodness and you ought to read it. You’ll like it. Or else.

4 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

I feel like I'm letting down. I read a lot, but the only ones on your list I've read is Go-Go Girls and Yellow Medicine.
I do have Money Shot, Cross, and Miami Purity in my TBR pile, which is about to sink the house.LOL!

Randy Johnson said...

I don't know how I left off Dust Devils. I really enjoyed that one.

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

Dust Devils was great. I hadn't read any of Reasoner's stuff before.

If you plan your TBR pile just right, you can use it to shore up any sagging timbers.

Victor Gischler said...

Yeah, baby!