"You know what? The bastard blows me out of the water. This guy writes Maine like Ardai writes New York. If you're not reading him, you don't know what you're missing." --Chris F. Holm, author of "The Collector" series, The Killing Kind, and Red Right Hand.

"A refreshingly new voice in noir." --Ed Kurtz, author of Nothing You Can Do and The Rib From Which I Remake the World.

"A glorious boilermaker of noir and East Coast gothic. The action is taut as a sprung snare and Bagley tightens the screws with every page." -- Laird Barron, author of Swift to Chase and Blood Standard.




Friday, October 31, 2008

Spooky Books


Kelly Link--one of the coolest people on the planet, as far as I'm concerned--picks five spooky books for your Halloween reading pleasure. They're all new to me, and sound good.

So what five horror (or just plain spooky) books would you recommend?

My list includes:
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
The Sandman series of graphic novels by Neil Gaiman
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe

Kelly's new collection, Pretty Monsters, is chock-full of eerie goodness, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You,know I don't know anything about you -I arrived clicking a link from Crimespot- but as a transgenre reader,your mention of some of my absolute favourites- Kelly Link,Sandman,The Haunting of Hill House and Matheson -sure makes me want to take notice.

Ciao,
Marco


My verification word is appropriately tense.

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

Thanks, Marco. I can't imagine limiting my reading to just one genre. How boring that would be.