"You know what? The bastard blows me out of the water. This guy writes Maine like Ardai writes New York. If you're not reading him, you don't know what you're missing." --Chris F. Holm, author of "The Collector" series, The Killing Kind, and Red Right Hand.

"A refreshingly new voice in noir." --Ed Kurtz, author of Nothing You Can Do and The Rib From Which I Remake the World.

"A glorious boilermaker of noir and East Coast gothic. The action is taut as a sprung snare and Bagley tightens the screws with every page." -- Laird Barron, author of Swift to Chase and Blood Standard.




Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Awful Tooth

I know there's a grand tradition of authors cranking out novels while wallowing in a narcotic haze. I just don't see how they pull it off. I'm having problems with my teeth. Again. Looks like I'll be saying goodbye to my last wisdom tooth.

Vicodin to the rescue.

Damn, that's good stuff. I can understand how people get hooked on prescription drugs. I only take a vicodin when the pain gets too intense--it's kind of like being stabbed in the side of the head--but there's always that temptation to gobble down a fistful like they're Smarties. The thing is, I can't figure out whether the vicodin actually relieves the pain or just makes me not care about it.


Either way, it's affected my work this week. I have a lot to do, but it's hard to write or do revision when I keep nodding out. Forget about dropping acid like Kesey. I can't even handle vicodin.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wisdom teeth, eh? Been there, done that. I had all four of mine out at once. The pain killers really knocked me for a loop, which I was really happy about. I can't remember which kind they were, but they got the job done.

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

I should have them all pulled at once. This last wisdom tooth seems to be pushing against another tooth that I just had filled and it's causing a lot of pain.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Only thing to do - get them yanked out.

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

It's coming out, but the earliest appointment I could get is November 13. So I have a couple more weeks of pain and drugs to enjoy. If someone else cancels, I might get in sooner.