"You know what? The bastard blows me out of the water. This guy writes Maine like Ardai writes New York. If you're not reading him, you don't know what you're missing." --Chris F. Holm, author of "The Collector" series, The Killing Kind, and Red Right Hand.

"A refreshingly new voice in noir." --Ed Kurtz, author of Nothing You Can Do and The Rib From Which I Remake the World.

"A glorious boilermaker of noir and East Coast gothic. The action is taut as a sprung snare and Bagley tightens the screws with every page." -- Laird Barron, author of Swift to Chase and Blood Standard.




Sunday, May 18, 2008

Meme Break

Sandra Ruttan tagged me for this “Meme about Various Things,” and I’m taking a few minutes to do it because she’s good people.

Here’s how it works:
1. The rules of the game get posted at the beginning.
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5-6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read the player’s blog.
4. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.

What were you doing ten years ago?
I worked in a bookstore, pretended to be a poet and spent a lot of time showing off and/or bragging about my four month-old daughter.

What are five things on your to-do list for today (not in any particular order)?
I only have time for one thing today: finish the long-dragged-out revision of Bitter Water Blues so that it can be e-mailed to a certain eagerly waiting agent by Tuesday afternoon. Everything else has to wait. It’s tough because there is much work to do around here, and the day is perfect. The apple trees have blossomed, I’ve got a big ol’ jug of sun tea brewing on the porch, the wild strawberries are nearly ready and the lilacs will be in full bloom in just a couple more days.

What are some snacks you enjoy?
I like: popcorn; beef jerky; almost any fresh fruit; those bagels with onion, sesame seeds, the works; and carrot sticks (no, really).

What would you do if you were a billionaire?
That’s a whole lot of zeroes. It’s hard to wrap my head around the idea of any individual needing that much money, let alone possessing it. Then again, it might be nice not living paycheck-to-paycheck for once.

I would pay off the mortgage and my student loans, buy about twenty more acres, plant a big orchard, super-size the vegetable garden, buy more animals and put away enough money for us to live comfortably and to ensure that my girls could go to the best colleges. Oh, and I’d buy myself a new desk and a more comfortable chair.

Then I would create a park in town, set up a trust fund for our public library and donate the rest to conservation, humanitarian and social justice charities.

What are five places where you have lived?
Utica, New York
Herkimer, New York
Friendship, Maine
Hollywood, California
Madison, Maine

What are five jobs you have had?
Factory laborer, bookstore manager, freelance reporter, editorial assistant, shoe salesman.

What were the last five books you read?
Acacia by David Anthony Durham (currently reading)
A Hell of a Woman edited by Megan Abbott
Dark Passage by David Goodis
The Discoverers by Daniel J. Boorstin
The River Congo by Peter Forbath

What are five web sites you visit daily (in no particular order)?
Crimespot (and from there to several crime-writerly blogs), The Howling Curmudgeons, Obama for America, John Scalzi’s blog and the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association

Tag 5 People
This is the hard part. I don’t know many people well enough to feel comfortable tagging them, and I hate to keep tagging the same ones over and over. So I’m going to break the rules and not tag anyone this time. If you read this meme and feel like doing it yourself, cool. If not, that’s cool too. Just let me know if you post one.

Back to work.

2 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

I discovered something after the NC primary that I don't know what to make of. My family all voted for Hillary and a few days later, my Mother said, "I reckon we'll vote for McCain in the fall." She's never shown any sign of a, uh, racist attitude in her life. My sister and her husband have been a vocal critic of Dubbya and his policies since he's been in office. Yet she said, "I haven't decided who to vote for in the fall." I can say without qualification that she's no racist. I just don't know what to make of all this.

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

Now there's an awkward family moment. I've had a couple of similar experiences with relatives who were otherwise quite intelligent people.